Table of Contents
This article outlines the procedure for performing an upgrade of TaskCentre v4.1. The upgrade must be completed in stages as a single jump from v4.1 to v4.7 is not possible.
The install stages are as follows:
- v4.1 (Build 300) to v4.5 SR4 (Build 1065)
- v4.5 SR4 to v4.6 (Build 1944)
- v4.6 to v4.7 (Build 2936)
Backing up your TaskCentre store
To ensure that you can restore your current TaskCentre installation and tasks should there be a problem with the upgrade, it is recommended that your take a backup of your TaskCentre store as follows:
- Before beginning you should consider manually disabling all of your tasks. This is so that they can be re-enabled in a controlled manner should they need to be restored at a later date. Within TaskCentre right-click on each task in turn, then select the Disable option.
- For the TaskCentre Internal store, the default store location is ‘c:\iwdb‘. Copy this folder to another suitable network location.Note: The path location may be different for your installation depending on what was selected during the original install.
- For a TaskCentre SQL Server hosted store, the default database name is TCDatabase. It’s backup should be included by the DBA as part of the organisational backup regime.Note: The name of database may be different depending on what was selected during the original install.
Upgrading the Agents
The same upgrade procedure applies to TaskCentre event agents on remote machines. The agents must be upgraded using the same version and build of software that was used to upgrade the TaskCentre Server. An agent will not be able to communicate with the server if the version and build is different.
The SMTP Agent and Workflow Agent can be upgraded after the Server with an exception being to the SQL Agent.
If TaskCentre event agents are local to the TaskCentre Server then this will not apply as they will be upgraded at the same time.
Upgrading the TaskCentre Server
It would be beneficial to download each release first before beginning. All downloads can be located within the Partner Area and under the Product Resources section.
- v4.5 SR4 1065 – 30th July 2010
- v4.6 1944 – 13th Sept 2013
- v4.7 2936 – 1st February 2017
- Run the ‘setup.exe’ for v4.5 SR4.
- A dialog will pop up with a message asking you if you wish to perform an upgrade. Click Yes to continue and follow the dialogs to complete the install process.Note: After the install is complete you do not need to enter the configurator to apply any configuration settings, you can simply begin with the next upgrade installation.
- Once v4.5 SR4 has been installed complete the same procedure again and upgrade to v4.6 and afterwards on to the latest release of v4.7.Note: Remember to upgrade the SQL Event Agent first to v4.7 if it is located on a remote server
- Once upgraded to v4.7, enter the TaskCentre configurator to setup the server. You will need to re-establish a connection with your TaskCentre store, re-register any agents that were previously active and in general make sure all prerequisites have been met for each of the tools in use.
This completes the upgrade procedure for the TaskCentre Server.
Upgrading the TaskCentre Clients
The same upgrade procedure applies to each installation of the TaskCentre Client on a remote machine. Note that the TaskCentre Client must be upgraded after the TaskCentre Server.
The TaskCentre Client must be upgraded using the same version and build of software that was used to upgrade the TaskCentre Server. The client will not be able to communicate with the server if the version and build is different.
If the TaskCentre client and server are local to each other then this will not apply as they will be upgraded at the same time.
Verification and Testing
Once the upgrade of the TaskCentre Server and Client(s) has been completed you can verify that it has been successful as follows:
Within TaskCentre click on Help in the menu bar and select the About TaskCentre option from the drop down menu to display the ‘About’ dialog. Check the version and build numbers are correct.
- Check that all folders, tasks, users, user groups, repositories, variables, formulas and functions are all available.
- Check that the data is still available in the repositories.
- Check that the global configuration for the tools is correct.
- Check that the ODBC and OLEDB data connections are still connected.
- Check that all previously installed Agents are available and registered.
- Manually run Maintenance and check the Event Log for any possible errors.
- Enable the disabled tasks and run a sample of them to ensure that they are operational.
- Create a few simple tasks that utilise each of the installed Agents to ensure that they are functioning correctly.
This completes the procedure for performing a TaskCentre upgrade from v4.1 to v4.7